Minutes from September 13, 2016 meeting of the Montreal Modern Quilt Guild
Welcome back everyone!
Points of business
- New members welcome - a welcome package is available.
- Modern Quilt Guild is an open membership guild. Come one, Come all.
- We try to limit the business aspect of meetings so please watch the blog to keep up to date!
- Fees for this year are $35, please pay Josée
- note: fees are prorated for new members who join later in the year.
- Volunteer sheet being passed about. Please sign up to bring snacks, to help set up and/or take down the room for meetings.
- Cheryl Arkison workshop reminder
- Swaps and projects will be discussed throughout the year. Please watch the blog for updates.
- Please wear your name tags.
- There will be a raffle at the end of the year for name tag wearers. Each meeting you will get a ticket for the raffle if you have your tag.
- If you are new, lost yours, or just want another please find someone to make own for and who will make one for you….or make your own.
- Please keep your broken and worn out pins and needles, we will be having a Hari-Kuyo celebration at the February meeting. Some containers available.
- As requested, we will create a list for those who wish to exchange services (binding, cutting, etc.) for those who wish to share their talents. Please see the MMQG forum for a link
- 2016/2017 Molinari quilt Challenge Wrap-up
- Amazing projects! Photos will be available soon with a summary of artist and names of quilts.
- Update on locations to show works based on Molinari works
- no space at the Molinari gallery until 2018.
- working on other ideas (community center, libraries, combined show with Molinari quartet). We will keep working on it.
- Please keep your finished quilts available in the event we arrange an exhibition.
- Metro 2016/2017 challenge
- with the anniversary of the Montreal Metro, MMQG is embarking on a project to use a metro station in the city to influence a quilt. See Joanna's recent blog post for details.
- to look at some of the stations a guided tour of some of the downtown stations will be arranged (postponed until October).
- Watch Facebook and the blog for inspiration and links to the history and art of the metro
Show and Tell – wow, what talented bunch we are!
- Please note only one project per show and tell.
Charity Project for QuiltCon 2017
- Michele and Lily – flower design with curves.
- fabric donated from Camelot Fabrics –Thank you!
- each participant will be given a square from the design and the corresponding fabric. The quilter will be then asked to make a quilt block using the design as a guideline, only using the provided fabric. All the blocks will be then assembled into a modern quilt.
- This will be started at the October Sew-in.
- MQG post on copyright and derivatives:
- Question remains what is derivative and how do you tell?
- Our representative on the Board of Directors is Julie McMahon (Australia) email@example.com - she would like our feedback on the subject
- October Sew-In – October 1, 2016 10:00-16:00, CRCS St-Zotique. Bring; machine and supplies, project(s), lunch and snacks. If working on the Charity quilt, fabric will be provided.
- October meeting – October 11, 2016, 19:00-21:00 CRCS St-Zotique.