April 2018 Mtl MQG Meeting MinutesApril 11, 2018 at 7pm SouthWest Mission, Verdun, QC
- Riley Blake fabric challenge: the MQG will mail the bundles to Claudia, but they will not be in time for the deadline.
- Humboltd Broncos: the Saskatoon MQG is organizing a quilt drive for the people affected by the bus crash. They are looking to collect 200 quilts. If you'd like to contribute or get more information, go to the https://saskatoonmqg.com/quilts-for-broncos/ website.
- Charity Quilt: our charity quilt from 2 years ago will be donated to the Syrian family during a presentation on April 29 at 12:30 PM. Check your email for all the details.
- Volunteers for the Executive: we are always looking for people who would be willing to become a member of the Executive Team. Not a huge time investment and lots of fun. If you are interested, please speak to any member of the current team.
- There is still time to complete the survey if you haven't done so already. Also, please include as much information as possible. For example, if you'd like to see more demos, be specific about the demos you'd like to see.
- We will consolidate the feedback and present at the June meeting so please make sure you complete the survey by the May meeting.
- Based on the feedback we've seen so far, here are a few ideas to consider:
- Workshop: Andrea Tsang Jackson from 3rd Story Workshop
- Meeting space: we cannot go back to the CRSC - they cannot accommodate our size, but we are looking into Fablab in NDG.
- Charity quilts: instead of making quilts, maybe we could consider making small zipper pouches or 1-hour baskets and fill them with goodies to give to shelters, etc.
- Challenge: make something with upcycled or recycled material.
Show and Tell:
- Izzy: baby quilt made from Shannon Fraser's pattern Spring is in the Air and Aeroplane Bag (pattern by Sew Sweetness)
- Debby: beautiful placemats for her new kitchen (pattern from the Midnight Quilt Show with Angela Walters)
- Dawn: shared 2 pretty baby quilts in pinks and soft purples
- Melanie: made 2 pillow covers for a friend - 1 with walking foot quilting that spelled MTL and 1 improv. She also shared a gorgeous hex quilt entirely made by hand over the last 6.5 years! Her quilt will be at the CQ Salon in May.
- Nathalie: she finished a charity quilt with the skill-builder blocks members made. She did a fabulous job with it!
- Maggie: showed us a beautiful baby quilt in very nice spring colours.
- Snezana: made a quilted vest in black and white.
- Josee: shared a fabulous quilt top she is making for her sofa.
Skill-builder Block: Drunkard's Path
Shannon Fraser presented this month's block. For more info, refer to our blog post.
- Tuesday, May 8 at 7:00 PM at the Southwest Mission in Verdun
- Bring your hexies for the lottery - please use quilting cotton and do not baste through the papers!
Photos from the meeting can be viewed here.